Parents and Kids -
Welcome to the 2020-2021 Mites season! Our top priority this season is to have FUN and enjoy our time together both on and off the ice. We're going to focus on building a strong hockey foundation this season by learning the FUNDAMENTALS of the game in an environment that is engaging and exciting. Finally, we're going to do our best to build a COMMUNITY of hockey families that enjoys the camaraderie that comes with investing time at practices, games, and tournaments together.
I'm excited for the season and to see our Troy Youth Hockey Association Mite program grow and flourish. We're in for an exciting journey!
Download the SportsEngine app to your smartphone.
- Set up a username and password on phone or on a desktop for SportsEngine.
- Search the app for our program by typing in "Sting - Gold". There will be a Sting logo associated with it.
- When you find the team, click on the star and it will become a "favorite" in your app.
- Go to account settings (upper right corner of screen) and turn on updates for games and events.
- From the schedule page, click on the forward icon at the top right of the screen to subscribe to the team calendar for your smartphone.
- To add other family members to the communication chain, log-in to SportsEngine through the TYHA.net website and from the drop down menu in the upper left hand corner under your username, click on "account settings" and then click on "add email address" to your account profile. You can then manage that email for notifications from the account settings page.
- USA Hockey Registration (free): Click on this USA hockey website and choose “ice managers/volunteers”
- Background Check through MAHA ($12): Click on the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association website, maha.org, and scroll to the bottom of page and click on “2018/19 Volunteer/Locker Room Monitor Background Check”
- Safe Sport Online Training Program (free): Go to this USA Hockey website for instructions on how to complete this online training.
Thanks in advance for your willingness to help out at the rink!
- We will always need parent to help set up temporary boards at all our home games. No training required, just safe shoes a little muscle!
- Our home games will also require a parent (or two) to operate the scoreboard during a game. If you know how to push a couple buttons and read directions, you are qualified! Please touch base with any of the coaching staff if you are willing to help so we can slot people into a schedule. Thank you!
- Check out John O'Sullivan's Ted Talk about supporting your child in youth sports at: http://changingthegameproject.com (click on the link toward the bottom left of the page). John is a well-known author, speaker and expert on youth sports and he and his team at changingthegameproject.com are committed to keeping kids at the forefront of youth sports.
- Here is another great blog by John regarding why kids play sports: changingthegameproject.com/kids-play-sports/
- Check out the Parent Handbook developed by USA Hockey. It is a great resource for any parent no matter the age or level or your child.
- Travel Sports vs. "House" or Recreational: What is best for the child and keeping things in perspective
- A recent article in USA Hockey magazine about the benefits of House hockey or what is now referred to as Tier III.